How to Gauge Your HSK Level
This question is almost a catch-22. The HSK test is to gauge your HSK level. Yet, you want to know your HSK level before you take the test.
Okay, so forget about this catch-22 for a second. In all honesty, the best way to know which HSK test you are most suited to take is by taking practice tests.
- Start by looking at the practice test for level 1.
- If it looks way too easy, look at the test for level 2.
- Repeat until you see a test that looks reasonable, but not hard.
- Take that practice test.
- Score yourself.
- If you get below 60 points in any category of the test (reading, writing, or listening), then this is the test you want to shoot for.
- If you pass, take the next level’s practice test.
- Repeat until you find a test that gives you a score less than 60 in one category.
- This is your target test.
Once you know your level, practicing for the HSK becomes a lot easier.